Cooking Up Sentences! by Learning Resources
This product was purchased by us. We did not receive any form of compensation for this review. All opinions expressed are our own. This review includes affiliate links. See our full disclosure for more information.
Cooking Up Sentences! A Parts of Speech Game is designed for 2-4 players ages 7 and up. Players "cook up" tasty desserts (create sentences) by collecting "ingredients" (parts-of-speech cards) as they move around the "kitchen" (game board). The parts-of-speech cards are color-coded and double-sided, so this game can be adapted for younger and older players, too.
- Gameboard (19" Square)
- 150 parts-of-speech cards (1 1/4" tiles)
- 4 double-sided recipe cards (8 recipes)
- 4 chef game pieces
$23.99 (at the time of this review)
How to Play
Parts-of-speech cards are scattered around the gameboard word side up. (The cards can be either sorted or shuffled depending on level of play.) Each player chooses a recipe card and a chef game piece. Players then take turns spinning the spinner and moving around the gameboard, collecting parts-of-speech cards as they go. As players land on color-coded squares, they try to choose coordinating parts-of-speech cards. If the card doesn't match the correct part of speech, the player puts the card back. The first player to complete his or her recipe and create a grammatically correct sentence wins. The sentence must begin with a capital letter, but there are no punctuation cards included in game play. Players say the correct punctuation when they read their sentences aloud to the other players.
This fun grammar game teaches kids how to create silly, grammatically correct sentences. Cooking Up Sentences! focuses on nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, prepositions, and articles.
We absolutely love this game! The graphics are colorful and fun, and the instructions are easy to follow.
- Easy first-time assembly and future game set up.
- Easily adaptable for younger and older players.
- The spacious, high-quality gameboard allows plenty of room for players to move around.
- The recipe cards are made of heavyweight posterboard with a quality high-gloss finish.
- The parts-of-speech cards, chef playing pieces, and spinner are all made of durable, heavy-duty cardboard with a high-gloss finish.
We didn't find a single downside to this game. It exceeded our expectations.
- The parts-of-speech cards are self-checking.
- If you plan to keep the parts-of-speech cards grouped by color, you may want to store them in separate bags.
- The game includes "Free Ingredient" cards which are kept separate from the others. We recommend you store them separately.
- You can keep the parts-of-speech cards color-side up so the wrong part of speech isn't accidentally picked by younger players. Or, you could only keep the parts of speech that the players have learned word side up.
We highly recommend Cooking Up Sentences! to families homeschooling primary and middle school students. Some older kids may find the game too simplistic, but it can be a fun alternative to textbooks and a great way to brush up on the different parts of speech.
Where to Buy
You can find this game at larger toy stores, teacher supply stores, and on many online websites, such as:
This quality board game is great for teaching the different parts of speech. Since the word tiles are color-coded and double-sided, it can be adapted for both younger and older players. Because of its exceptional quality and significant educational content, Cooking Up Sentences! has earned our Seal of Approval!