How to Homeschool in Kansas

This information is not legal advice and should not be used as such. You should verify all requirements with the government agency in your area before you begin homeschooling. You may find contact information in the links below.
  • In Kansas, homeschooling is known as a "non-accredited private school".
  • Compulsory attendance is required for children ages 7 through 18.

From the United States Department of Education

Kansas does not have a home school statute, but the Kansas legislature enacted the Parental Rights Act in 1996 stating, "It shall be the public policy of this state that parents shall retain the fundamental right to exercise primary control over the care and upbringing of their children in their charge." K.S.A. §38-141(b).

Home schooling falls within the general classification of non-accredited private schools and must comply with the provisions for non-accredited private schools. This requires the school to choose a name, and register its name and address with the Kansas State Board of Education. K.S.A. §72-53,101.

In order to satisfy the compulsory attendance statute, a home school must have a "competent" instructor and instruction time must be "substantially equivalent" to the public school.
465 hours per year for kindergarten
1,116 hours per year for grades 1-11
1,086 hours per year for 12th-graders
. K.S.A. §§72-1106(b) and §72-1111(a)(2).

As non-accredited private schools, home schools must have instruction that is planned and scheduled with periodic testing. When determining if a home school satisfies the compulsory attendance statute, courts will consider the planning, scheduling, and periodic testing that occurs. If a home school does not satisfy the compulsory attendance statute, children can be found to be in need of care and subject to the authority of the state. In Re Sawyer 234 Kan. 436, 672 P.2d 1093 (1983) and Kansas Attorney General Opinion No. 85-159 (1985).

Registration is mandatory for non-accredited private schools. The official custodian of every non-accredited private elementary or secondary school must register the school's name and address with the Kansas State Board of Education. The purpose of this provision is to make available the name and location of the school for the request of student records in the event of a student transfer. K.S.A. §§72-53,101 and 72-53,102.

To satisfy the Kansas compulsory attendance statute, approval by the Kansas State Board of Education is mandatory for the education provided at the high school level by churches or religious denominations. K.S.A. §72-1111(g).

Approval is granted for a two-year period based on the following criteria:
1) Attendance is mandatory in at least five hours of learning activities for each day the public school is in session in the public school district where the child resides.
2) Acceptable learning activities may include parent-supervised projects in agriculture and homemaking, work-study programs, or accredited correspondence courses.
3) The program includes at least 15 hours per week of classroom work under the supervision of a competent instructor.
4) Regular attendance reports must be filed and students reported as absent if they do not complete five hours of learning activities.
5) The instructor maintains complete records of the students' work and files the records on a monthly basis with the Kansas State Board of Education and the local board of education. K.S.A. §72-1111(g).

To satisfy the Kansas compulsory attendance statute, private schools must offer instruction for a period of time that is "substantially equivalent" to the period of time public schools are open.
465 hours per year for kindergarten
1,116 hours per year for grades 1-11
1,086 hours per year for 12th-graders K.S.A. §72-1106(b).

The governing authority of a nonpublic school must designate an employee to report students who are not regularly attending school as required by law. The designation must be made by September 1 of each school year and certified by the state board of education to the secretary for children and families or a designee of, to the country or district attorney or designee of, and to the commissioner of education within 10 days. If a student is absent without excuse for three consecutive school days, five or more school days in any semester, or seven school days in any school year, the nonpublic school shall notify the parents of their legal responsibility, and if an appropriate response is not received, file a report of the absences with the above authorities. K.S.A. §72-1113(a), (c), and (d).

Every nonpublic school operating within Kansas must require proof of identity, preferably a birth certificate or pupil records from a prior school, whenever a child enrolls in a school for the first time. If proof of identity is not presented within 30 days, the governing authority must give written notice to the local law enforcement agency for an investigation into the identity of the child. Persons with custody of the child must not be informed of the investigation while it is being conducted. K.S.A. §72-53,106.

Every pupil up to the age of nine years who has not been previously enrolled in any Kansas school must present the results of a health assessment prior to admission to or attendance in school. A health assessment includes a health history, physical examination, and such screening tests as are medically indicated to determine hearing ability, vision ability, nutrition adequacy, and appropriate growth and development. Before the beginning of each school year, nonpublic schools must provide all known incoming students who are subject to this provision with a copy of any governing policy adopted by the governing body of the nonpublic school. Parents are exempt if they are opposed to the assessment based on the religious teachings of their denomination and file a signed statement to that effect. Local health departments and clinics may charge a sliding fee for the health assessment, but no pupil can be denied the health assessment due to inability to pay. K.S.A. §72-5214.

Private school students enrolling for the first time must present certification that they have received the tests and inoculations as required by the secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. Alternatively, a student may present medical certification that the test or inoculation would seriously harm his or her health or a written statement that the student is an adherent of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed to such tenets or inoculations. On or before May 15 of each school year, private schools must give a copy of this provision and any relevant school policy to all known pupils who are enrolled or will be enrolling in the school. If a pupil transfers schools, the school must forward the certification or statement with the pupil's transcript to the new school. The area health department will provide tests and inoculations at public expense, to the extent that funds are available, when parents or guardians have not provided for the pupils and are not exempt on religious or medical grounds. K.S.A. §§72-5209 – 5210.

Parochial and private school principals have a duty to exclude children affected with diseases suspected of being infectious or contagious until the expiration of the prescribed period of isolation for the particular disease. K.S.A. §65-122.

All private schools must provide a basic vision screening without charge to every pupil not less than once every two years. The school board must designate someone to perform the test and notify parents or guardians if an examination by a physician or optometrist is warranted. K.S.A. §§ 72-5204 – 5205.

Testing requirements are not placed on non-accredited private schools.

Local school boards for the public school districts have the authority to contract with any private, nonprofit corporation or public or private institution within or without Kansas that has proper special education services for exceptional children. The state board of education shall approve the curriculum. K.S.A. §72-967(a).

Upon the request of a parent or guardian, every public school district must provide special education services for exceptional children who reside in the district and attend a private, non-profit elementary or secondary school. K.S.A. §72-5393.

Contact Information

Kansas State Department of Education
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson St.
Topeka, KS 66612-1212
Phone: 785-296-3201

Source: United States Department of Education - Kansas State Regulations

From the Kansas Department of Education

Kansas does not have a home school statute, but the Kansas legislature enacted the Parental Rights Act in 1996 stating, "It shall be the public policy of this state that parents shall retain the fundamental right to exercise primary control over the care and upbringing of their children in their charge." K.S.A. §38-141(b).

All homeschools are classified as Non-Accredited Private Schools (NAPS) in Kansas. Compulsory school attendance laws apply to children attending homeschools who have reached age 7 to those who are under 18 years old (may be under 7 for children identified as handicapped). Every parent or guardian of children in that age group must require such children to attend a public, private, denominational, or parochial school for the duration of the school term.

Intent to Home School Notification

Non-accredited private schools are required by law to register the name and address of the private elementary or secondary school (homeschool) with the State Board of Education. Use this Kansas Registration Non-Accredited Private School online page or the Kansas Mail-in Registration Form (PDF).

There is no “approval” process or review by the State Board of Education for a NAPS and there is no cost associated with the registration. No confirmation of registration will be sent.

Please make copies of your registration for your records and for the school from which your student is withdrawn.


Non-accredited private schools are responsible for acquiring their own books and curriculum materials. The State Department of Education does not supply books, curriculum materials or technical assistance for non-accredited private schools.

Kansas Curricular Standards provide information on what students should know and be able to do at different grade levels. Kansas curricular standards are guidelines that may be used to develop curriculum. The standards are not the curriculum.

Record Keeping

Accurate and complete records of students attending NAPS should be kept in the event that the student transfers to a public or an accredited school, applies to a post-secondary institution or enters the Armed Services. If a student does transfer from a NAPS to an accredited school, the accredited school is not required to accept the transfer of credit and may evaluate the student in order to make placement decisions.

Kansas Graduation Requirements-recommended for NAPS:
4 units of English Language Arts
3 units of History and Government
3 units of Science
3 units of Mathematics
1 unit of Physical Education
1 unit of Fine Arts, and
6 units of Electives.

Time of Instruction Requirements

Classes must be held for a period of time which is substantially equivalent to the time public schools are in session. The time required for public schools is at least 186 days of not less than 6 hours per day, or 1116 hours per year for grades 1-11.

Teacher Requirement

Non-accredited private schools are not required to employ teachers who are licensed by the state; however, courses must be taught by competent instructors.

Notice of Withdrawal from Public School

When a student transfers to a NAPS, the school previously attended must be notified by the parent/guardian. If this step is not completed, the school is required by law to report the student as truant.


The NAPS must issue their own high school diplomas. These diplomas are not recognized by the State of Kansas as meeting any requirements.


Colleges and universities determine their own criteria for admission of students who graduate from a NAPS. Most institutions of higher education will require a Graduate Equivalency Diploma (GED) or other criteria to be met for admission.

Kansas Homeschool Help

Phone: (785) 368-7088
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Consultant: Maureen Ruhlman
Registration: Kayla Love
Special Education, and Title Services Team
Bert Moore
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Kansas Home Schooling Links

Source: Kansas Department of Education

Updated 29 December 2021

We do not publish content that discriminates based on personal attributes such as age, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, family status, marital status, disability, or medical or genetic condition.

© 2022 All Rights Reserved.